The research into fluoride has been gathering momentum over the past few years with more research being carried out in fluoridated areas. This is leading us to the inescapable conclusion that fluoridation is neither safe or effective.
At a glance:
- 2020 Babies fed infant formula using fluoridated water have significantly lowered IQ
- 2019 Maternal Fluoride Exposure During Pregnancy with a 3 fold increase in ADHD diagnoses in Canadian offspring
- 2019 Maternal Fluoride Exposure During Pregnancy associated with lowered IQ Scores in Canadian offspring
- 2019 Canadian O’Brien Institute of Public Health ring alarm bells over fluoridation
- 2019 Fluoride exposure may contribute to complex changes in kidney and liver related parameters among U.S. adolescents.
- 2019 Founder and director of the Institute of Neurotoxicology and Neurological Disorders (INND) issues statement
- 2019 Fluoride Inhibits one of our most important enzymes
- 2019 Fluoride contributes to impaired iodine absorption
- 2019 Fluoride linked to Eye disease
- 2019 World leading expert on lead warns of fluoride toxicity
- 2018 Pre-natal fluoride exposure linked to ADHD
- 2017 Pre-natal fluoride exposure linked to lowered IQ
- 2015 Fluoridation linked to hypothyroidism
- 2015 Fluoridation linked to ADHD
2020 January Published in Environment International. Found that for every 1 mg/L increase in tap water fluoride there was a 9 IQ point decrease in the formula-fed infants but almost no decrease in exclusively breastfed infants. Breastmilk is highly protective against fluoride exposure to the baby because concentrations of fluoride in breastmilk are at least 100 times lower than in formula made from fluoridated water.
2019 December Published in Environment International. Found a strong association between fluoride exposure and diagnoses of ADHD in a Canadian sample that is representative of the entire country. From a survey that is Canada’s equivalent to NHANES in the US. Adolescents living in fluoridated places had a 3-fold greater odds of being diagnosed with ADHD as those in non-fluoridated areas. This finding suggests that fluoridated water may cause the majority of all ADHD cases.
2019 August Published in the prestigious JAMA Pediatrics this study looks at fluoride urine levels and fluoride exposure in pregnant Canadian women. It finds fluoride exposure from fluoridated water is significantly associated with lowered IQ in their offspring.
2019 August Fluoride exposure may contribute to complex changes in kidney and liver related parameters among U.S. adolescents.
2019 July The Canadian O’Brien Public Health Institute produced a report for the Calgary City Council. On neurotoxicity they said “The new emerging studies in this domain need to be tracked very closely, and carefully evaluated as they appear. We expect that health agencies at local, national, and international levels will confer and compare notes as they iteratively review, and re-review, this evidence”.
2019 May. “Discontinue Fluoridation to reduce fluoride exposure ” says founder and director of the Institute of Neurotoxicology and Neurological Disorders (INND)
Toxicologist Steve Gilbert, PhD, and his non-profit organization, the Institute of Neurotoxicology & Neurological Disorders, have produced a statement opposing fluoridation. It’s at his “Connecting the Dots” website
2019 April Fluoride Inhibits a Crucial Enzyme
2019 March Fluoride Contributes to Iodine Deficiency
Fluoride Exposure Induces Inhibition Sodium/Iodide Symporter (NIS) Contributing to Impaired Iodine Absorption and Iodine Deficiency: Molecular Mechanisms of Inhibition and Implications for Public Health
2019 March Fluoride linked to Eye disease
2018 December World leading expert on lead warns of fluoride’s neurotoxicity
2017 September Pre-natal fluoride exposure linked to lowered IQ. This study measured the fluoride urine levels of pregnant mothers and found every 1 mg/L increase in fluoride was associated with a 5 IQ point drop in their offspring. The fluoride urine levels were the same as levels found in pregnant New Zealand women.
2015 Fluoridation linked to lower thyroid function
2015 US Study on ADHD published in Environmental Health
Exposure to fluoridated water and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder prevalence among children and adolescents in the United States: an ecological association
Other important developments have been:
2019 The US National Toxicology Program released its draft review of fluoride exposure. It concluded that “Fluoride is presumed to be a cognitive neurodevelopmental hazard to humans”.
2019 The US Human and Health Services reduced the maximum allowable fluoride in bottled water to 0.7ppm
2018 NZ Supreme Court rules fluoridation is compulsory medical treatment without informed consent
2016 The US Human and Health Services reduces fluoride level in fluoridated water to a maximum of 0.7ppm
2014 NZ Review
In 2014 the NZ Royal Society and the Prime Minister’s Chief Science Advisor produced a report on fluoridation. See the Report, the criticisms and the background.