Which areas fluoridate?
The Ministry of Health says 61% of reticulated water supplies are fluoridated amounting to 52% of the population receiving fluoridated water. Only 23 councils out of 67 have any fluoridation.
Fluoridation Discussions Held
- FIND Fluoridation Panel (2014)
- Waikato University Google Hangout (2013)
- Hamilton Fluoridation Debate (2013)
- MOH Questions & Claims (2013)
- What is in the water? OPMCSA Critique (2013)
How much do you know about fluoride?
See our quiz – As published in the Kapiti News. January 2014.
Overview of Current Activity in New Zealand
- Dental fluorosis studies (2005 and 2008) shows increased dental fluorosis, but little or no benefit from fluoridation
- Southland Study (2005)
- Wellington-Canterbury study (2004)
- Why I changed my mind about water fluoridation (1997) – by Dr. John Colquhoun
- The Hastings experiment (1986) – analysis by Dr. John Colquhoun, former Principal Dental Officer of Auckland
Government actions to fluoridate New Zealand
History of fluoridation
- Summary – Generational Decline in Dental Fillings 2015
- “Potted history” by Bill Wilson (2004)
- Fluoridation decision-making in NZ (2002) – LLB(Hons) thesis by Mark Atkin
- Hon Dr Jonathan Coleman (Minister of Health) Fluoride in drinking water: Urgent amendment to Medicines Regulations 1984 proposed. (20 Nov 2014)
- Medicines Amendment Regulations 2015 (27 Jan 2015)
- New Health New Zealand Inc v Attorney General (Oct 2014)
- The question of legality (Updated as at May 2012)
- National Ethics Advisory Committee – why won’t they address fluoridation? (2006)
- Fluoridation decision-making in NZ contains a thorough analysis of the issue of human rights (2002)
- The Human Rights Commission ruling (1980)
- The Lewis (Privy Council) case (1965)